Evolutionary Studies of Blind White Cavefish

In 1955, my Cornell undergraduate advisor loaned me Carl Engelmann’s 1909 Blind Vertebrates of North America.  It included microscopic eye anatomy of all the swamp, spring, and cave species in the fish family Amblyopsidae.  I read it cover to cover in one day.  I immediately decided that I wanted to study all aspects of the evolutionary adaptation of the family for my Doctoral Dissertation at University of Michigan – Ann Arbor.

Based on the evolutionary trends, I documented, for the three known obligate cave Amblyopsids I predicted in my 1961 Dissertation, what an even more cave-adapted species would look like and why.  Sometime in the late ’60s, I received an anonymous letter with a photo of a white cavefish.  The only writing was,”Is this what you predicted?”  It was!  I figured out who my compatriots were and helped them study preserved specimens.  In 1974, they published a formal description of this new species in peer-reviewed literature.  They named it Speoplatyrhinus poulsoni in my honor!

SONY DSC

Speoplatyrhinus poulsoni

But the very best was yet to come.  After years of trying to arrange a visit to its only habitat, Key Cave, I finally got to see my namesake up close and personal.  On Election Day 2008, a colleague snorkeled to net a fish and passed it to me in a plastic bag.  I whooped, clapped, hollered, and stamped in excitement and glee!  We took three specimens just outside the cave where I studied them in an aquarium and Dr. Dante Fenolio photographed them in his special mini aquarium.  Then we returned them to the cave.  Attached is Dante’s image of a 65mm adult.  Note its relatively huge head and ridges of water-motion detecting sense organs.

By yet another serendipity, FAU Jupiter has hired Dr. Alex Keene, who uses state-of-the-art molecular and neurophysiological methods to study Mexican cavefish.  He and his graduate students and I have had several meetings to decide which of his methods would provide the greatest new insights into the evolution of Amblyopsid cavefish.  I am really excited that this March we will start studies of sleep that will complement my original studies of circadian rhythms and activity levels.

poulson

Dr. Tom Poulson

Tom Poulson, Ph.D., taught at Yale, Notre Dame and the University of Illinois – Chicago. He uses his award-winning style of interactive teaching which includes voting, demonstrations, doggerel and cartoons. Past LLS students speak of his unbridled and contagious enthusiasm, stimulation of thought and imagination and integration of humor with science.

It's only fair to share...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Email this to someonePrint this page
Posted in Uncategorized
4 comments on “Evolutionary Studies of Blind White Cavefish
  1. Annette and Arnie Levine says:

Tom,
    Do you remember us? We just came across the LLS site and saw your photo. We are in Palm Beach Gardens for the month of February. Are you in Florida? We retired to Chapel Hill, NC in 1998 and are still good friends with Bea and Len Prosnitz. Do you remember them?
    Would love to hear from you and Liz.
    Best regards,
    Annette and Arnie

• liz Poulson says:

Annette and Arnie, My goodness. It is a small world and it’s been a long time. Yes, of course I remember all of you although we might not recognize each other now! We too are retired (sort of) and now live in Jupiter. Would love to get together? Email tomandliz05@gmail.com
      Cheers
      Liz

2. Ginny Higgins says:

Congrats! Thanks for sharing a picture of the cavefish named in your honor!!! Richly deserved I might add.
    And, I do hope you continue to keep us posted on the findings with Dr. Keene.

3. Ruthye Plump says:

How exciting to see your studies continue, Tom!! Congatulations on the fish naming!