Words and Pictures

DSC_9552 copy

By Terryl Lawrence, Ed.D.

Is there anyone amongst us who does not love picture books? I don’t think so. When I select a biography or history book, I always check to see if it comes with photographs so that I can put faces to the characters I will be reading about. These images bring life into the prose and serve as better introductions to the text. I believe that we are all captivated by images.

I am willing to bet that everyone has memories, as I do, of favorite pictures from our childhood. Two books that really enchanted me visually and storywise were The Secret Garden and Wee Fishy One. Virginia Wolfe wrote of having “A Room of One’s Own” – or what can otherwise be referred to as our secret garden. It should be a place where we can share our private thoughts with ourselves – a place to think, to paint, to write, and to dream.  When The Secret Garden was adapted to film, it lost nothing in translation – the garden, the secrets, the one key to unlock the door – have stayed with me and helped me to discover my own sacred place.

Wee Fishy One is no longer in print and is, thus, unavailable to scores of youngsters although it should be. It was a very small book – perfect for little hands to hold onto. Its story was brief and delightful –  it introduced me to a very special and unique little fish. Each page sparkled with tiny and colorful plastic bubbles that I loved running my fingers over putting me in contact with that pretty, bumpy fish. I can still remember how that felt, and when I close my eyes, the sensation is still with me. These tactile sensations made my life more joyful.

All of this brings me to tell you that I carefully select images for my talks which I hope will bring pleasure to everyone. “American Art in the USA” is a series of visual collages and tales about happenings in our great country.  I hope these words and pictures will inspire happiness, bring back special moments, and create new ones to savor.

Terryl Lawrence, Ed.D.
Art in the U.S.A. – American Art: A Visual Feast
Fridays, October 13, 20, 27, November 3, 17, December  1, 8, 15, 2017, 11:15 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Please note: No class on November 10, 24, 2017
(Full 8 weeks or last 4 weeks option available)
To register, click here.

It's only fair to share...
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Email this to someonePrint this page
Posted in Uncategorized